Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot send message to all workstations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
Using Server Manager on my W2K server I tried to send a message to all my W2K Pro / XP Pro workstations to warn them off a server shutdown. Unfortunately a few workstations did not receive the message. I have checked the services on these workstations and the messenger service is running so I'm not sure why they didn't receive the message.

Could any help explain this for me please?

Cheers

If the machines that didn't receive the messages are XP machines, check and see if personal firewall is turned on. If it is turn it off and try again.

What is yout network architecture like? Do you have VLANS setup? If so that will stop broadcast messages from reaching other subnets.

Also many virus software packages have a form of firewall installed by default (ie PC Cillin). Check the virus settings for it.

As far as I am aware it's straightforward W2K AD network. not sure what VLANS are. I will check your suggestion scottydd as that would make sense. Cheers

is there a logical pattern to which workstations aren't getting the message (ie, certain parts of a building or floor, a particular department) or is it sporadic?

3 users from 3 different areas of the building, all got WXP Pro installed so going to test the firewall theory when I have 5 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back