Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Send Faxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

davemunroe

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2014
US
I'm having an issue sending faxes on my system.

A few month ago, my company ported a block of our telephone numbers to a different carrier. The original carrier accidentally ported our fax numbers off as well. Last week they were able to return the fax numbers to the original carrier. All of our machines can now receive faxes, but cannot send any. Each fax attempt is met with "No answer/Busy". If i assign a handset to one of the fax numbers I am able to call out of the office, so it seems like faxing is the only issue. For fax machines that also have a handset, I am unable to make calls. Any advice for how I can troubleshoot this? I am not too familiar with Nortel's accommodations for fax machines.

Thank you for your help,

Dave

The first thing you have to determine is how the faxes are connected. Directly to a line or through your Norstar on an ATA.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

I don't think there is an ATA. The cabinet has two m0X16 modules and two m0X8A modules, which I presume are for the fax machines. I couldn't spot anything running from the ports that looks like an ATA.

Or rather, I think the m0x8A's are serving as ATAs, but there is no separate ATA device from the cabinet.

The 0x8 is an 8 port ATA. Find the DN the fax is connected to and make sure it has dial tone and seizes the correct line. I suspect before lines were ported it was seizing any available line. Program the port to grab only the fax line.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back