Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Send External Mail Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCLDTony

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
Hello All,

I have read through some of the postings on this issue, and none of the suggested fixes have worked so far. So I am starting a new thread, hopefully to get a few new ideas.

First off, this is a new installation of Exchange, the first in our organization. We have one Exchange 2003 server, it is a member server in our Active Directory.

I can send mail internally, I cannot send external mail. Mail gets immediately returned with the following error:

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

In the Default SMTP Virtual Server Properties, my relay restrictions are set as follows:

Only the list below is checked
Allow all computers which successfully authenticate to relay... is checked. Those are the the only options checked in the relay tab.

In the Authentication tab, Allow Anon Access is checked as well as Integrated Windows Authentication.

There are no Connectors set up. This is the first and only Exchange server in the organization.

The internal DNS/MX records appear to be set up correctly. The external records provided by our ISP are fine, as our old mail server (Gordano Mail) works just fine and I can resolve the DNS, MX and reverse DNS records just fine.

I cannot send mail out to the internet. It is making me crazy, man! :eek:)

Any suggestions of what I might try or have missed?

Thanks so much in advance!

Tony

We are using Websense... but not for the staff IP range, which this server is on.

I love websense but thats not the issue
you need to get on the phone with your isp and do a protocol test, it sounds like your not passing outbound smtp

besides that i would try to reinstall smtp on the server

good luck

Well, I went ahead and punted... I have this sinking suspicion when I, in error, created a SMTP Connector, then removed it. It all went south about then.

Thankfully I am installing this on a test domain before we go live with it. So I am going to wipe both the domain controller and Exchange server and start again. I will post my experience with that when its done.

Thanks for everyones suggestions!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back