Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot send emails to AOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2011
GB
Hi Guys

we have installed a new SBS 2011 server which seems to be running fine apart from emails going to AOL.

The emails to AOL come back with a Delivery Delay message then finally a NDR.

We have setup with reverse dns with BT to our ipaddress mail.ourdomain.co.uk 81.81.81.81

i have checked out static ip is not on a blacklist all comes back fine

The only problem i can see is when i check the mail header it is showing
Received: from remote.ourdomain.co.uk (mail.ourdomain.co.uk. [81.81.81.81]) (please note i have changed the ip address to a example one)

Checking our ipaddress with postmaster.aol and it comes back with Undisclosed Reputation

is there a way i can set the exchange server to send out via mail.ourdomain.co.uk rather than remote.ourdomain.co.uk or is this ok.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Vinnie

Unless you can get AOL to treat your mail differently on their end, there's not much you can do besides create a workaround.

Normally in this situation I would create a new Send Connector with the address scope just being for AOL.COM (and SBCGLobal.net since they are the same) and then configure that new AOL Send Connector to use a smarthost and find out what your ISP will allow you to use as a smarthost. Only mail to AOL would use the smarthost, and the rest would flow the way it has been. If your ISP doesn't provide smarthost capabilities, a cheap smarthost solution like DNSExit.com would cost $5 a month or less to handle just your AOL mail.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

You can change the send connector MX title in Exchange Management Console to be anything you like.

You need to make sure that your IP address has had the reverse DNS set to be the same as mail.yourdomain.com

If it is AOL I would guess it is actually the sender policy framework (SFP) that needs to be set.

Basically you need to enter a TXT DNS record for your IP host to say that you are allowed to send mail on the domains behalf.

You can go through a quick wizard to create the record here:
Microsoft host it but it does work.

sircles.net Support - find us at:
Henley-on-Thames Computer Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back