Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot see Windows 98 computer in workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgilmore

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
US
Hello. I have a Workgroup with a Win98 and Win ME computer, they are connected by a hub. We have ICS installed and the ME machine is the connection sharing computer. I can successfully access the internet through the ME computer but I am unable to gain any resources from the computer and vice versa. Regardless of what machine you are on if you go into network neighborhood you can not see the other computer in the workgroup. I have double checked that each computer has something shared, I can successfully ping the ME machine, they are using the same protocols and the workgroup name is the same. This is a very strange situation and any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

At one point I did have Netbeui installed but that didn't work either. Do you have any more ideas?

there is 3 possible problems :
1- if u have IP addresses on other pcs remove it and keep the ICS pc with the IP 192.168.0.1
2- try changing the NIC on ur ICS PC
3- remove the NIC driver ON the ICS pc and remove all protocols the reconfigure all from zero .

Have you checked to see if the computers are set up to share files and folders?
I know usually you don't get the sharing option without those options checked, but funny things happen.
Goto Network properties.
Click file and print sharing.
Make sure both boxes are checked.
If they aren't, check them and reboot.

Hi, are you using nice machine names, I have found (but mainly with printers) that any longer (12+ I think) names or names with spaces are not displayed on other 98 machines.

Thanks, Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back