Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot See Tape in BE8.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

robros

Programmer
May 22, 2001
US
I am having trouble when I go to inventory the media device , I am not able to get the drive to see the media at all no inventory,nothing. I tryed stopping and starting the serivces ,no luck I tryed creatin a new job it failed with the errror
Physical Volume Library Drive not found
I have cycled the power on the drive its self?

Ok so now where do I look at.

Any ideas ?

thanks

Your Al Meyers Kid..You Look Pretty Stupid To me.

Can you do a backup to the drive?

Also, many manufacturers offer utilties that test tape devices, I would look into this before continuing.

P.S. If it fails, try it again with a new tape first, before scrapping the drive or sending it for RMA.

Matt J.

not sure how that is done
this morning I cycled the power on the drive and inserted a tape. the drive tells me its ready.
However backup exec tells me Physical drive libray not found when I am attempting to inventory the tape.

One other not I get a waring that tells me the two of the systems have the same serial number and its a violation of the veritas software license

Do you think the latter of the two is what is causing the problem?

I have inherited this position and trying to work the bugs out of it.

The DC runs a backup each nite without fail.

Let me know what you think

I tend to agree with mattjurado: at first glance, this seems to be a hardware level issue and not a BE problem. Is the DC a separate system from the system you're having trouble with? More details, such as drive and bus, would help.

When you power cycled the drive, did you power cycle the server its attached to? BE will have trouble with the device if the OS can't communicate with it.

Yes the DC is seperate from the exchange server which is the one with the problem,
I cycled the power again on the tape drive and nothing I am wodering if the SCSI driver is bad or the cable is bad? the Scsi card is a adaptec AHA 2940.

Not sure what the speed of the card is

Like I said I have inherited this mess

Any Ideas

How new is the tape drive (I'm wondering if this could be a LVD vs HVD/SE issue)?

Has the system ever worked?

Do you see the tape drive under the Tape Drives node in Device Manager?

Yes this was working up until about the middle of last month.
I can see the drives when looking in the device manager.
and it shows that the drives are empty.

hey,
most likely, the read head on the drive may be dirty/dead.
try to stop the veritas services, then start removable storage media services (the windows svc) and run ntbackup to test the drive...

just about all tape manufacturers have dos utilities (boot to a floppy , run a simple write/read 50 mb's or something) to test the read/write heads.

most likely, not a scsi issue.. if it worked until recently, check the heads using windows ntbackup...

good luck.

ward ccna, mcse, mcsa, a+ 4 year veritas vet.

In that case, I would:
1. investigate the cabling and termination
2. try to get a tape drive testing utility from the manufacturer. For example, Quantum has DLTSage which is a simple app to test the drive with a blank tape.

Thanks Guys
I will try this ideas in the Am when I get vack to the office
thanks for all the input.

Thanks Guys
I will try this ideas in the Am when I get back to the office
thanks for all the input.

Is this still an issue - if it is .....

The reason you are getting Physical Volume Library not found is due to the hardware profile being corrupted.

You need to disable the device which is generating this error and then delete this from within Backup exec.

Stop and start all the BE services and this should appear back in BE - if it is not located in the correct area you will need to run the tools/device configuration wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back