Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot see my device when opening arcserve backup 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

eurocorp

MIS
Sep 10, 2009
GR
Hi there,

I am running this software with HP DL360 server on windows 2003 and I have connected the above components with the backup device Ultrium 232

HP 64-bit/133-MHz Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI G2 host bus adapter requires Riser Card Option Kit 405154-B21 for DL360G5)

PCI-X Riser card for DL360G5 (to convert full-length PCI-Express slot to PCI-X slot) in order to work (that's they told me from HP)

The problem is that when I select devices from the application There is not the tape device in it!!! (There is no problem in the device manager). I opened the windows backup (from accessories) and there the device seems to work fine (I took backup yesterday) any sugestions???

If anyone needs more details just ask

Maybe your ultrium device is not supported.
Actual version is 12.5, 9.0 is (about) a 2002 or 2003 product, I think it not support your kind of device.

If still exists check the 9.0 compatibility matrix..

Yes but in HP DL380 server (newer machine) works fine!!!
please help me....

I can't remember 9.x version, but what if you run device configuration ?
Is the device at least,detected ?

via the ARCserve Server Admin set the Tape Engine Message Level to Detail.

Stop the Tape Engine
rename tape.log
start the Tape Engine
copy the log here.

Hardware level compatibility might be an issue, but the problem here is that the ARCserve Tape Engine cannot access the SCSI Bus.

[1696] Adapter:2 Windows NT SCSI Get Inquiry: GetLastError(): 1h 1
[1696] Failed to get inquiry for devices on board 2. Continuing with other boards

The Tape Engine uses SCSI Pass Through to access the tape device. The controller driver is supposed to provide a SCSI Mini port through which SCSI Pass Through works.

In this case either the controller driver does not support SCSI Pass Through or there is another driver causing a conflict with it.

But again keep in mind that even if you get past the problem with the driver there still might be a problem with hardware compatibility. If you check the ARCserve Certified Device List for version 12.5 you will not see this controller listed. So it may or may not work no way to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back