Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot see cd-rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

indjija

Technical User
Jul 2, 2001
US
I tried to imstall dvd on my system.Befor that it was working fine with my cdrom.I installed dvd driver, and than Matrox dvd player. After player instalation finished it came up with a message which said something like that my dvd drive is not setup corectly( something to do with DMA).It gave instruction how to fix that, and after i tried fixing it and restarting, my system cannot see either dvd or cdrom(i tried both).In device manager cdrom properties it says that it was not given IRQ by BIOS, and something about enabling DMA in BIOS.I cannot find any reference in BIOS about DMA enabling .It also says that I should update BIOS.Don't mind doing it, but cannot find my motherboard model to download correct bios update.
I know how to find M/B manyfacturer and I know my BIOS number but when I go to manufacturers site to download BIOS update, I need to know M/B model.I don't have a clue how to find out which model it is.

Help anyone, please

Sounds as though you might need to boot up the operating system in safe mode and remove all the listed CD-ROM drives within the device manager. Reboot again and then let the OS rediscover the CD-ROM drives. I'm assuming that you pulled the case off or at least opened it up to install the DVD drive. By chance did you look at the motherboard at all? Look inside at the board again and see if you can find any information on it that will allow you to identify which one you have. Some of the better brand motherboards ( IE ASUS and ABIT) clearly silk screen the model number on it. If not then you'll most likely will have to go to someone who knows more about computers then you do. Flashing the motherboard with a new BIOS sometimes takes care of these sort of problems. But unless you clearly know what your doing, DON'T even attempt it. For is something were to go wrong, you've just toasted your board.

Wish you the best :)

What makes of MOBO is it? Most of them display Model number on boot up.

I had a similar problem and i don't believe there is a dma setting in the bios. I eventually narrowed it down to the fact that the sound card was disabling the dma due to the emulation mode.
Anyway, the dvd drive should not need drivers as it should be detected by windows. As Tschuy suggests remove all cd/dvd drives while in safe mode, also check your autoexec.bat and config.sys for dos drivers and remove them.

If dma still won't enable, you could try swapping the position of some of your cards or (less preferable)setting the irq manually.

I originally re-installed windows and then slowly added the drivers to see which diasbled the dma. You could try this but only as a last resort.

Thanks for trying guys.
Is it possible that my problem with not being able to see cdrom is because I have problem with SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller.Device manager for its properties says that:

This device is disabled bacause the BIOS for that device did not give it an IRQ . (Code 29.)
You must enable the device in the bios.

How do I do that , when I cannot find anything about that controler in BIOS.Bios is from 1995" Award Modular BIOS v4.50PG" - it's number is 2A5IDM2CC-OO. How can I find out model number of my motherboard so that I can find proper BIOS update? M/B has following chipset - SiS-5511-5513
There is a sticker with a number on the M/B - 67944 and under it MP54ST.
I find out that m/b is made by TMC(Mycomp) or by Megastar.
I went to their sites but cannot see my m/b.

I had swapped hard drives with another computer that didn't have a cd drive but the hard drive already had windows 95.

All I had to do to get it to "see" mine was to re-install windows. I assume it would work for the DVD as well.

The only problem I had was finding the registration number.
I found it in control panel\system. It's right there on the dialog box. Even after calling the Microsoft help line they couldn't tell me that.

Have you set the jumpers on the back of the drives to slave and master? is yes change them around.
Also have you enabled Plug and Play Operating System in the bios?
As one previous author said, start up in safe made, remove all drivers for both devices if they are not generic in windows, shut it down, physically disconnect them both in the system, reboot, shut down, reconnect them, reboot and hopefully they will both plug and play detect.
Some of this is illogical! but PC's get confused and you just have to start from scratch with them. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back