Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot see any public folder by backup selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktonk1

Technical User
Mar 12, 2003
NL
I have installed Veritas 9.0 to backup our Exchange 5.5. mailboxes/public folders. The speed was so slow that we have decided to install a new backup server (W2K) with the Veritas 8.6 rev 3878 software. Remote agents and Exchange agents were installed. Yesterday we had since a week a full backup of our exchange mailboxes an other directories.
The only subject I am missing is our public folder(s). When I go to the backup selection tab I couldnot see any public folder to select. Before installing Veritas 9.0 on our original backup server I could make this selection.

Have anyone any idee?

Did you install the Exchange Administrator on the Backup Server?
Also check that the edbbcli.dll file version is the same as the one on the Exchange Server. This is how Backup Exec communicates to the Exchange 5.5 store and needs to be the same version.

Exchange administrator installed on the Backup Server and the Exchange server, both Build 2653.23 sp4.
Edbbcli.dll on both servers the same (32 kb 19-10-2000)
Communication between the exchange server wth exchange 5.5 and the backup server is ok. Backup consists of the c- and d partition and more than 300 mailboxes

With Backup Exec 9, you no longer need Exchange Administrator on the backup server as the remote agent does all the work now. The remote agent will use the edbbcli.dll file on the Exchange server since it is located there.

Question: Can you see the Exchange Directory Store and Information Store icons in Backup Exec Selections?

In my issue, I could not see DS/IS/Public Folders, nor the mailboxes. Sounds like the remote agent is not initializing the edbbcli.dll file on the remote server. Stop the remote agent service, put -debug in Start Parameters then start the service from the start button. That is what Veritas had me do on a issue I had. The debug log then showed how the remote agent wasn't initializing the Exchange backup/restore .dll I wound up uninstalling/reinstalling the remote agent.

Another possibility: enable Restrict Anonymous Support in HKLM\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back