Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot run system recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickpill

Programmer
Feb 28, 2002
US
I am in dire straits, I've tried bringing up my PC using the recovery cd with no luck. I cannot reboot as well. It's Windows 98 and I was planning on using this PC as an Internet server. Here's how far I've gotten:

1. I've created a reboot diskette and managed to bring it up to where I see the Windows 98 blue screen displayed in a flash and then the A prompt.

2. I've tried running system recovery, after a few steps I get to point where it trying to get the C drive. It displayed for a few times, fading to dark screen. I can barely make out the display but it seems to be a problem with accessing the C drive. It then restarts itself.

How do I get the system rebooted and run the recovery process. I don't care about what's on the machine now. It's a Compaq Presario 5204.

Thank you, any help will be appreciated.

Rick

Fdisk, Format and reinstall. That's the cleanest way to do it. You might also check memory and hard disk with a testing utility before you reinstall the OS.

Thanks,

I'll give it a try. I know I've been down this road, but I'll attempt in the order you suggest. Another point, I have the Recovery and Driver/Application CD, no OS CD. Do you see a problem?

Rick

Help please!

I have run fdisk and format. I now have the C prompt and Application/Driver CD - how do I install the OS. I do not have a Windows 98 CD.

Thanks,

Rick

I have the Recovery and Driver/Application CD,"

Set the BIOS to boot from CD first, and put in the "Recovery" CD. It has the OS on it.

Thanks, it sounds like the way to go. I have one problem though, I have no way of setting my BIOS to boot from CD. On checking Compaq site I see an update for BIOS settings. I downloaded the exe file to diskette but I have no idea how to install this update.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back