Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot run PuTTY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoratti

Technical User
Aug 11, 2005
US
I have downloaded the PuTTY file from the PuTTY website and un tarred the files that were tarred up. I am look for an installer file or an executable file of some sort but can't find one.

How does one go about installing and configuring PuTTY. Can someone walk me through the process, once the tarball is extracted.

What commands should I be looking to run? Is there some sort of makefile that needs to be configured, or can I run an executable command from the prompt to start it?

Come to think about it. PuTTY is a windows ssh client, Linux already has an internal ssh client so why use PuTTY.

Of course if you REALY wanted to you could always try using wine to run the putty.exe file.

Like previously said, PuTTY is a windows based client... In Linux, all you need is OpenSSH which comes standard in most distros. Try the command:
ssh -X user@server

Where user is the user name on server, and server is the server you're loging into (fully qulified or IP address).

If your trying to install PuTTY on a windows boxen to connect to Linux, it's fairly simple -- if you do need help with Windows install of PuTTY this isn't the proper forum. Look at the windows forum.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back