Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot run exe files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ntelos

Programmer
Jan 4, 2010
GR
Hello there.
I run windows server 2003 enterprise at a pc that has no connection to the internet. The antivirus is Norton Antivirus. When i try to run an exe file (in the server) then i get a pop up window with the following message:
The filename, directory name, or value label syntax is incorrect.
File:\\mplampla\mplampla
mplampla\program.exe
and at the top left of the pop up windows it has a label called NOSSO 2.0.

Can you suggest me a harmless solution as soon as possible?(by harmless i mean that i don't need to delete or uninstal something)

Thank you in advance

An additional problem that may have connection to this problem is that when i try to right click on My Computer icon windows installer opens and tries to install Symantec Antivirus

Take it you've reinstalled NAV?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

What is NAV and how can the problem be fixed if i reinstall it?

( I am new at this so i try to figure out how this works)

NAV is Norton AntiVirus.

It is my personal opinion that Symantec and Mcafee products do far more harm than good on server operating systems. (and on clients for that matter).

try renaming a random (unnecessary) exe to .scr or .pif, try running it and seeing if you get the same error.

if you dont have some nasty malware/virus, then it sounds to me you have some nasty registry problems. do NOT try to run a registry cleaner unless it is your absolute last resort, and even then, make sure to make a full backup of the system before doing so (not just an NTBackup, but like, use acronis or some such to make an entire image of the drive to an external) so that you can recover the system. (registry cleaners are notorious for breaking more than they fix, possibly even preventing the OS from loading)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back