Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Run DOS in Windows 98 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIGBO

MIS
Nov 14, 2000
GB
Hi,

I have a 500mhz 128MB Windows 98 SE PC and cannot run DOS either from

(a) Start\Shut Down\Restart in MS-DOS mode
where the screen just comes back blank even though the computer stays on

OR

(b) Start\ Programs\ MS-DOS Prompt
where a window appears with the message :

This program cannot run in a window because of the way it uses the display. Press ALT + ENTER to run the program in a full screen.

When I press ALT + ENTER I get a second message :

You cannot switch to a full screen while text is selected or the Scroll command is active. Before switching to a full screen, press ESC to cancel your selection or cancel scrolling."

Pressing ESC, or indeed the Scroll lock, makes no difference and usually the only way to get out of this is to Press CTRL, ALT & DELETE.

Help !!

Sigbo

Right click on the shortcut where you find it in the Start menu and choose properties and configure the window to run as you want...and you can set the DOS environment.

RE: [a], check the dosstart.bat file in C:\Windows for any entry that may be the problem.

After checking the dosstart.bat file u may see the command prompt properties & make sure that the path of the start in is %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Thanks for the quick replies -

In response …..

gargouille

In MS-DOS properties I changed Usage in the SCREEN Tab from “Window” to “Full-screen” but when I tried to run Dos, the screen just went blank as with “Restart in MS-DOS mode”.

Berton

The entries in the Dosstart file are :

@echo off
lh c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /d:mscd0001
set mouse=c:\drivers\mouse1
lh c:\drivers\mouse1\imouse
c:\sbpci\sbinit

C:\PROGRA~1\LOGITECH\MOUSEW~1\MOUSE.EXE

The last line is probably the most recent (for a cordless mouse). I tried putting “REM” in front of it but it made no difference.

Aribos

I looked in the Command.com Properties. The only place I could see where paths, etc could be entered was by clicking on the Advanced button on the Program Tab

In this Window the only item with a tick is

Suggest MS-DOS Mode as necessary

Is this incorrect i.e. should MS-DOS mode also be selected and entries entered here ? or am I looking in the wrong place ?

Thanks again.

rename the command.pif if there If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

What happens...

1) ...when you use a Win98 boot disk? Can you access DOS?

2) ...if you hit F8 at startup and choose command prompt only?

Also, try marcs41's suggestion of renaming the command.pif file if it exists to something like command.old. Then right-click the command.com file and re-create the PIF file.

Good Luck!

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back