Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Restore SQL Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

gclumpkin

Technical User
Mar 24, 2004
US
I have a Backup Server running AS11 backing up a SQL 2000 box using SQL Agent 11. The backup runs fine and I can drill down through the resulting backup job and choose the database, but when I try to restore it using instructions from CA Document Number 1057, I get the following:

E3150 2004/10/29 13:54:24 540 Unable to connect to network drive. (DRIVE=\\SERVER_NAME\ADMIN$, EC=BAD USERNAME)

I've tried every username/password combination I can think of and nothing works.

Does anyone have any experience restoring SQL databases that might be able to offer some advice here? I've talked with four CA technicians so far and this is still an open issue.

Thanks,
Greg

Is just an idea,but why do not try ?

Try lo logon locally on the server who has the manager installed using the user used (!) for security of the "to be backupped (in this case restored)" machine. Resubmit the job (saving it) .

Let us know...

Fabio

I use V9, but I did type instructions as to what password to key where.... Maybe this will help you.

Start, Programs, Computer Associates, Brighstor, Arcserve Backup, Manager.

Click Manager, Device
Click the Tape drive listed in the middle window pane.
Click the Tape media listed in the right hand window pane.
Note the Tape ID in the bottom right hand window.

Click Manager, Restore
Select Restore by Session
Expand the desired tape
Scroll to the session listing the database you wish to restore.
(Note: Select only 1 db per job)
Click the box to select the database.

If you are restoring over the existing database,
Right click the database session, select “Force Restore Over Existing Database”

Click the Start button
On the Machine tab:
Click the line item listing the backup job, click edit.
Input your domain\username and your password.
On the DB Agent tab:
Click the line item listing the backup job, click edit.
Input the SA user name and password.

Click, OK, OK, OK.

Click Manager, Job Status
Watch the activity log for the restore status and any messages.

Click Manager, Device
Click the Tape drive listed in the left hand window pane.
Right Click the Tape media listed in the right hand window pane.
Click Eject.

Click File, Exit.

Good luck,
Debi

Thanks very much for all the replies. The issue has been resolved and here is what happened:

Server A = ARCserve 11 backup server

Server B = MS SQL Server 2000

Server A runs a backup of Server B which has a mapped S: drive where all the databases are kept. I can backup all the databases with no errors. When I try to restore to Server B's S: drive, I get an error that I can't write to the S: drive.

The S: drive on Server B is actually a network storage solution by EMC that has rights on it so that ONLY Server B can write to it. Everyone has read access, but only a special Admin account can write to it. Server A was trying to write to it directly and that's where it failed.

I restored the database to another test SQL Server and all is good.

I took over the backups after our SysAdmin left for greener pastures and the person who set up the EMC box finaly clued me in on the rights situation and a light went off so to speak.

Once again, thanks for all those who posted replies in an attempt to help.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back