Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot restore backup from cd 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deejd1

Technical User
Jul 18, 2004
US
I had a crash with my Micron 950, running WinXP Pro. Up and running now. However, I have lost all of Famly Tree Maker infomation.
I am using FTM 6.0 I had backed up my data on 5 floppy disks and the 3rd disk brings up "A serious internal error" and shuts down the program. I also have a backup on 4 cd which I burned with my cd writing program, (Sony Extreme). FTM will not recconize the backups as a FTM file, although it has FBC extension. I did try to copy cd to hard drive, however, I have 4 disks and it will not copy all with the same name. If I change the name will it still be the same backup? It wants to overwrite the first disk. How do I do this? I'm sorry I am not too computer savy. I copied it into a new folder in my documents. I tried to copy it to FTM folder that didn't work either. Is there a way to extract the files ? Please help. This is 5 yrs worth of work. Thanking you in advance for your time and consideration.

DEE

If the FTM 6.0 program was only designed to restore from floppy, then you could try to copy the files one at a time from the CD to each floppy (be sure to use brand new floppies in case one is corrupted).

In doing so, you might also need to change the Read-Only attribute on each file by "right-clicking -> properties" and unchecking it. You can do this once the file is on the floppy or hard drive.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thank you for the response. I will give it a try.

I am assuming you have one file spread over four CDs. If so, this probably why FTM cannot recognize the file. You need to combine the four into one file. You can try this. Copy the contents of your CDs to the hard drive. Let's say you have file1, file2, file3, and file4 in your root directory on C: (i.e. C:\).

Now, go to Start->Run->CMD and press enter. This will put you into a mode where some DOS commands work. Make sure you are in CD:\ (type CD CD:\ and press enter). Then, type:

COPY file1+file2+file3+file4 file5.ftm

where 'file5' is the desired name of the combined FTM file. Note that there are no spaces in the file1+file2... string. Similarly, there IS a space between file4 and file5.ftm. When you are done, press the enter key. You should see the four files copied.

I don't know if FTM will like this file, but it will be a combined version of the four you started with.

HTH

Thanks Kiddpete, but the problem is solved. A really stupit error on my part, I forgot to disable antivirus software. When I did disable it, the orininal floppy backup worked like a charm. Thanks to all for your help. Sorry for being so dumb.
Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back