Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot replace harddrive with another one??

Status
Not open for further replies.

franky77

Technical User
Nov 16, 2003
CA
It's a Dell computer and I tested the harddrive that it came with a small 6 gig and I have a 40 gig maxtor that I want to replace it with as I believe the 6 gig is only a 5400 rpm and the maxtor is a 7200 rpm, but it will not take for some reason, I know with the Dells and Compaq's they are a little harder to do things with as they make all thier own components but it is possible. Like I can have the 6 gig as master and the 40 as a slave but that is not what I want!! can anyone explain the process on how to switch this so I can have 40 gig as master and 6 gig out? Thanks, For any help you can be with this issue! Appreciate it all

If I'm understanding you correctly you want to run the 40GB as master and the 6GB as slave.

If you haven't already tried this, take the 40GB drive and make sure the jumper on the back of the drive is set to primary master.

Then ensure the jumper on the 6GB drive is set to primary slave.

Once you've done that ensure that the IDE cable you are using to connect the two drives is connected to the Primary IDE controller on the motherboard. On newer boards the primary IDE controller is blue. Hook your 40GB drive to the first connector on the cable, and the 6GB drive on the second connector on the cable and boot the machine and hope for the best.

ok, Thanks I will try those but may have tried them already?? its been awhile now, i kinda gave up for a month or so, I would just like to have the 40 gig as master with or with out the 6 gig harddrive!1 Thanks for the info. see what happens!

How old is Dell machine? (its bios may have 8 or 32GB drive limitation - would need a bios upgrade (or limiting jumper) - if available or a PCI card if not (or drive overlay software - but I wouldn't go there).

If your system doesn't boot up there might be a hidden partition (partition magic or ghost) It contains boot up info.
If so hook up both drives and copy the hidden partion, install your OS and go.

What O.S. are you using? If Win XP, it has a built in "Migration Wizard" just for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back