Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot remove <root> passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidkickers

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
US
When I created new web for a location I picked the IP address of the server so that I could create files directly. I remember being asked to supply a password, which I thought was for the firewall of my site administrator. Now whenever I brouse to my site for normal viewing i.e. I have to log-in. I don't want this to happen. When I view the permissions from my sites administrative page it says my root is passworded. When I clik on it, a warning from the administrator states the passwords were created by front page and I need to reference front page manual for service. When I look at my tools/permissions/ it doesn't give me a clue as to how to let the rest of the world view my site without passwords. (Frontpage 98), thanks.

Try loading your page for editing from the web server(FrontPage 98). Then once the page has loaded, select <TOOLS>, <PERMISSIONS> and make sure that on the USERS tab that Everyone has browse access is selected.

In FrontPage 2000, do the same but after you select TOOLS, go to Security then Permissions.

Jim

p.s. if you try editing your page from your hard drive, all security will be greyed out.

Not sure if you can answer this one, but, at one point in development I was using a thirty day trial of front page 2001. You say security is different in 2000 maybe this is my problem. Microsofts support is not very good on this subject. Thanks. I'll go buy the product 2001 and see if it corrects.

I do not believe that the security is different in FP98 or FP2000, it's just in a different location. In 98 or 2000 the same window for security should finally open up.

Thanks for hanging out with me. When I go to permissions in fp98 the box is checked allowing all users to have brouse access. I'm listed as administrator, and that's it? Under computer it list *.*.*.* as administrator, i believe, I am not at home right now. So i'm clueless, if i didn't have so much time invested i would scrap and start over, however i have such a small empire built right now. it seems simple, i don't know. I have a request into the server administrator, maybe they can remove frontpage extensions and i can go regular ftp. they haven't responded yet. microsoft has a $35 help line, i'll try last resort. small price for my headache. haven't been to concerned yet, as i didn't want to share my construction site anyways, but i'm just about to pull down the paper on the front doors and open up for business. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back