Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Remote Control one PC with another via LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhifat

Technical User
Mar 6, 2004
IL
Hello,

My problem is that I cannot control my desktop PC with my laptop.
They are both connected through a LAN cable, and more or less easily recognize each other with Map Network Drive.
I have recently installed Symantec's PCAnywhere on both computers, and while I'm able to control my laptop with the desktop smoothly, the only way to do this vice versa (Laptop as the Remote client, Desktop as server/ host) is by submitting an active "calling" (or invitation?) from the desktop to the laptop. It wouldn't recognise it otherwise and report as "could not find computer".
BTW: both have XP home build 2600
Do you think it has to do with activating any service? I tried tweaking with them and activate services that seemed relevant, but my laptop will still play "blind" and wont trace the desktop.

Thank you for your help

Yes, I have. I have this service running on both PCs and activated from the "Remote" tab in "My Computer" properties menu.

Greetings,

Have you tried VNC the machine on LAN?

Q.

Imagination is the only weapon we have in the war against reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back