Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot release/renew APIPA address

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoahMonty

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2006
US
I am working on a PC for a client. The PC has XP Home, and has no virus protection(figures). I'm attempting to install anti virus, adaware, etc... on it, but I have no connection to the Internet through the LAN. The machine is configured to obtain an address automatically, but it just "APIPA's". If I statically define the address, then things get really interesting. :-( Once my address is statically defined, I am able to ping any PC on the LAN by IP address or name, I could ping the gateway, I could ping a public IP address throught the gateway, but cannot ping outside the gateway by name. Furthermore, I cannot release/renew my IP address because it wont release the 169.254.xxx.xxx address after the ipconfig /relese command. Before you blame DNS, let me assure you that this machine, while having a static IP address is/was configured exactly the same as a functional PC (DNS Settings). Before you blame network connectivity issues, this PC is using the cable of a fullly functional PC, and before you blame the NIC, I installed a brand new Gigabit NIC and it did not rectify the problem. Can anyone help??????

Just an update everyone. This machine also has an AOL account which I tried using to dial in (rather than use the lan), and got pretty much the same results. How can this be? I did notice that for each connection the LAN and the Dial up connection, there is no primary DNS suffix. That should have been handed out by AOL's DHCP server correct?????? I'm quite confused on this matter so any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back