Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot reflect client PC in Windows 2003 Server's DNS Snap-in 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBelenkov

Technical User
May 4, 2009
My Windows XP client is joined to my Windows 2003 Server domain. It is using the domain for DNS resolution. However, under the DNS Snap-in, it doesn't show my XP Client. Further, my Group Policy Objects are not being reflected in my client. I understand these are seperate issues, just clarifying that the two machines are only loosely communicating. Thanks for all your help.

I'm assuming the client is getting its IP information via a DHCP server. How many Domain Controllers and DNS servers do you have set up in your network? Is the client on the same network segment as these servers? If you open a command prompt on the client and enter ipconfig /all does all the proper IP information including the DNS servers display correctly? From the XP client, open a command prompt and enter the command ipconfig /registerdns and then check the DNS server and see if the host record has been registered.

As far as Group Policy goes, check for any errors showing up in the Event Logs on the XP client. Open a command prompt and type gpupdate /force and see if policy will apply then. Run "Resultant Set of Policy" (Start >Run >type rsop.msc) on the XP client and see what details you get there.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

I have 1 DC and DNS server on my network. The client should be on the same network segment, but they can't communicate. IPConfig /all shows all the proper information, including the DNS.

The Group Policy I think is a result of the the client and server not communicating.

ipconfig /registerdns is returning a message saying Registration of DNS records failed: Access is denied

Is this the only client on the network having this issue? Was this client ever a member of any other domain? Have you tried removing the client from the domain, changing it back to a workgroup PC, deleting its account from Active Directory and then join the client back to the domain to see if issues would be resolved? Try using netdiag.exe on the DC and the XP client. It is available as part of the Support Tools available for Windows Server 2003 and also as part of the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools. The /fix switch is useful in correcting issues with DNS and domain controller issues.

- How to use the Network Diagnostics Tool (Netdiag.exe) in Windows 2000

- Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 32-bit Support Tools

- Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

first things first..make sure the dhcp client service on the client is started (it is responsible for registering host records in DNS), and that your DC is the IP of the DNS server in your ipconfig results. if so then continue....

if the system is getting its info from dhcp, and that dhcp server is authorized within your domain, and you are using AD integrated zones, then the access denied during the manual registration attempt can be expected. This is because of 2 reasons I can think of off the top of my head: 1. the DNS zone security is not allowing the authenticated users group (which includes the domain users AND domain computers group) the read and register records rights 2. the DHCP service takes ownership of DNS records after it registers them in DNS by default in Windows 2003 DHCP, which can result in what you are seeing during manual update attempt

fixes to scenarios above:
1. correct permissions on the zone to include the proper permissions
2. configure DHCP to always update DNS even if the host does not request it OR there is a manual workaround, however, it requires registry config changes on all clients and the DHCP server

- Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03; MCSA:Security03
MCSA:Messaging00; MCP; A+
IT Pangaea (

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back