Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot redirect some folders from users profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klabaza

MIS
Aug 3, 2005
Hi people.

I have some small issues, I'm testing at home the roaming + redirect folders settings. I have windows xp sp2, none AD.

I have read a lot of docs about roaming + redirect folders, but there some special folders that won't let me redirect them example:

C:\Documents and Settings\X\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\X\Local Settings

The folders My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, My Music and Favorites I redirect them using "Tweak UI", this folders are easy.

Now the others are not, some sites say that using gpedit.msc there is a shortcut call "Folder Redirection", but in my machine doesn't exist, others docs say that the lowest thing to do is changing the register.

The user Im testing is a normal users(No Admin), with this user I change the settings (Shell Folders), but all the time I restart the computer, the settings for Application Data + Local Settings change to there original location. Even with a admin user happend the same thing.

There some settings inside windows that prevent this change?

Thank all for your time!!!

What version of XP are you using, Home or Pro?

Group Policy is only in XP Pro, not Home. There are also other limitations for XP Home and folder redirection.

Recommendations for Folder Redirection

Have you looked at programs like these to assist you?

Shared folders
thread779-1257578

I can thoroughly recommend this Microsoft freebie and use it all the time.

SyncToy v2.0 Beta

I have read some links, but they are for AD, in my case is a none AD network, but can help.

I will try this tools linney thanks.

Is Windows XP Pro sp2.

I will let u know, thanks again.

Hi linney.

Thanks for your help, I had found my answer:

Register--> User Shell Folders

Her u specify where to send this folders.

Thanks for your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back