Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Recover!!...How,Do I Delete Non-Dos Partitions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sperls

Technical User
Jun 16, 2002
US
My computer "cannot locate operating system"...all I is a black screen and that message!!I tried fdisk..fdisk/mbr...It cannot locate system on "c"..When I use the recovery disk that came with the computer..The first screen comes up,to agree with microsofts terms....I press O.K..The second screen says "Error Non-Dos Partitions on Drive...Must Delete".....How do I find them??..How do I Know What They Are!!??.And How do I Delete Them??...Any Help Will Be Appreciated.....Thanks....Steve

You should be able to see them when you use fdisk, I believe it is option 4 or 5 to display partion information. This should show you ALL partions, even non dos ones, if you go into #3 Delete Partion you will get an option to delete NON-Dos partions. If you do not see any non-dos partions or you can not delete them you may need to get ahold of a drive util to wipe the hdd (usually fills the entire drive with null data), you should be able to get this util from the drive manufacture.

Some fdisks don't see all the possibilities. You might need to go to an earlier or a later one. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

If you are simply having too much trouble, go to simtel.net and search for aefdisk. This is an incredibly powerful little utility, and it can delete any partition that you want.

Fair warning, though....it does NOT prompt you. You tell it to do something, and it is done...this is not for somebody who is unsure of what they want to do.

Put it on your boot disk, at command prompt, type
aefdisk /delall

This will delete ALL PARTITIONS on your hard drive.

Use it at your own risk, and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back