Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Receive Internet Email!

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoodsmcse

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2001
US
I am running exchange 2000 and i am unable to receive any internet email. Was working fine up till today, the event log does not show any errors. I can receive email within the company fine and i am also able to send email both within the company and to the internet. What would be the cause of this to happen? How is it fixed? Thanks,

I had the same issue the other day, but this was after making some changes to the SMTP connector and virtual server. The only way that I could find to overcome this was to re-boot the exchange server. Then everything is OK. This is assuming that the people sending mail from the internet are getting an NDR that says mailbox not available.

Hope that helps

Kev

What is the NDR the outsiders get? Can you spoof a message off the connector with Outlook Express or from telnet? Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

The outsiders were not getting any NDRs or anything. I ended up creating a new smtp virtual server and shut the default on down, restarted the smtp service and everything started working.

sounds like your problems point to configurations with the DNS and MX records. Make sure if you ping (from outside your LAN) your mail server, that it come back with the external IP address..also, try doing a nslook -type=MX yourdomain.com

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back