Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot read second HDD after formating

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcboy1

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
CA
I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows XP, I was using a Fujitsu 6 Gig for saving my files and pictures to it. I cannot read it now. What can I read this critical data. In the bios both show up, bit the Fujitsu dosen't show up.

More information I have a 35 Maxtor HDD in my PC (Windows XP pro formatted and reinstalled) and I have a 6Gig Fujitsu HDD on the secondary IDE so that I can save data to it. When I boot up the PC, I went to the BIOS sees it. After loading XP, the drive was found and even shows up in My Computer. The problem is that when I attempt to access it, I receive: "The drive is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?" The Maxtor was formatted for NTFS but under Computer Management it give the Fujitsu HDD file format as RAW ) data

What is the format of the boot drive? If it's fat32, it won't read the NTFS slave.

I have installed a 2nd drive Formatted Fat32 and was able to read it fine from the Main drive Formatted NTFS. I even installed a Slave last week to get rid of some junk and it was Formatted Fat16, XP still read it.
Other than that I don't have a clue as to what your problem is. Sorry.
Billy

If you had a product called GoBack installed on your original XP and haven't reinstalled it, XP will give these type of symptoms.

I can see the data when I use a demo data recovery program most of the data is pictures over 64kb, the demo will not recover files over 64KB any suggestions to which program to use. I would prefer not to buy if I did what is the cheapest?

is free, but its not brilliant with ntfs partitions (you still haven't said whether 6GB drive is Fat32 or Ntfs.

As Freestone says - Goback can cause this behviour - as can overlay software (but that seems unlikely to have been used with a 6GB drive). Also, XP sometimes has problems recognising partitions created elsewhere (what did you use to create the partition initially?)

If its fat32, can you see it booting from a win98 boot floppy ( if you need one)?

You'll probably be able to recover what you need with a data recovery app (if no other way) - another (not free) one often recommended on Tek-Tips is

You could also try:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back