Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot read from device /dev/hdc to partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

robherc

Programmer
Apr 20, 1999
US
Hi All-<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Still attempting to format a CD-RW as an <i>ext2</i> or a <i>c2udffs</i>disk to use it like a hard drive expansion. Now I've got my 'RW drive set up, I've got the CD-RWs ready, and I've been trying to fdisk /dev/hdc (my cd-rw drive), but keep getting &quot;Cannot read&quot; errors. Any ideas? <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Tell me what your doing to format the disk and how you have yours set up and I will set mine the same and try and work with you on it. I have a ricoh mp6200s cd-rw drive on a ini9100 ultrawide scsi card and have the kernel working with perfect, at last. Have you ever tryed to get the ini9100 driver working? (propley).<br>
<br>
Speak to ya soon. <p>Simon Jones<br><a href=mailto:sijones@talk21.com>sijones@talk21.com</a><br><a href= Allandale Youth Works</a><br>The above is all my own site I look after!!!<br>
God am good!!! and good lookin :)

I have an IDE 2x2x6 CD-RW drive on IDE1 Master (/dev/hdc)<br>
I am trying to simple partition it using:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<i>fdisk /dev/hdc</i><br>
But it keeps coming back with invalid media type errors, etc.<br>
<br>
I am pretty confident that I coudl get everything else working fine if I could just get fdisk, cfdisk, disk druid, or something to partition it so it can be given an ext2 filesystem.<br>
<br>
Distro: RH6<br>
Drive Status: Works fine with iso9660 CD-ROMs; but haven't had any success recording yet.<br>
Drive Detection during Boot: <i>6x CD-R/RW DVD-RAM</i><br>
RAM: 48MB<br>
SWAP: 127MB<br>
Hard Drive: Mustang 5002MB IDE (HDA)<br>
Other Drives: 6x CDROM (works fine); LS120 Parallel (haven't config'd this yet)<br>
<br>
Please let me know if you come up with any ideas. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

I will have a go for you, as soon as I get a little time to try, we have just had 3 more computers in my work and I have to set them up with rh6 and put them on the network for internet access, printer support etc...<br>
<br>
But anyway will try soon!!<br>
<br>
I didn't know you could fdisk a cdrw drive? I thought you always used a bit of software to do it?<br>
<br>
See Ya! <p>Simon Jones<br><a href=mailto:sijones_uk@yahoo.com>sijones_uk@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= Allandale Youth Works</a><br>God am good!!! and good lookin :)

I really don't know....I've tried to call <i>mkisofs /dev/hdc</i> as well; I'm just looking for whatever will work ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back