Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot reactivate Offline files feature in explorer via GPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvanos

MIS
Jun 6, 2002
BE
Within our Default Domain Policy there is a setting to disable the Offline Files feature for workstations :
Machine Configuration > Network > Offline Files >
Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files feature = Disabled
Prohibit user configuration of Offline Files = Enabled.

User Configuration> Network > Offline Files :
Do not automatically make redirected folders available offline = Enabled.

The reason for this was to avoid time loss during logoff due to XP synchronizing offline files. These offline files were not required for desktop XP workstations, as they are permanently connected to their home directory folders on the file server.
In addition : as a result of the above GPO-settings (my assumption) the fourth tab “Offline folders” had disappeared from the Folder Options in Windows Explorer !
This was indeed the intention for all fixed desktop PC's within our site.

As laptops were rolled out, I made a special OU where all laptops were moved into, and with a newly created GPO “Allow Offline files” attached to it, to undo the above mentioned settings.
This in an attempt to reactivate the offline folders features for all laptops. This GPO simply inversed the respective settings listed above.

Strange enough, the “Offline Folders” tab is still not showing up in Explorer.

In addition :
Activating ENFORCE for this policy doesn't help,
Activating loopback processing doesn't help,
Even explictly moving the user for the laptop into the same OU of the laptops, did nothing to make the "Offline Folders" tab reappear.
(After each edit in the GPO, I restarted the laptop to make sure the new settings were loaded).

Additional info:
On the file server (Windows Server 2003 R2) the setting is activated for the concerning share, at tab “Share”, button [Caching] : “Only the files and programs that users specify will be available offline”.

And even logged on as domain admin, I can't get this fourth tab "Offline files" reappear ...

Has anyone had the same experience ?

The answer to the riddle appeared to be very simple :
the Default Domain Policy GPO had its "Enforced" flag active. So it took precedence over any GPO executed afterwards, even if they were Enforced as well.
The first Enforced GPO executed always wins...

So after removing the Enforced flag on the Default Domain Policy GPO, and running the command "gpupdate /force", the Offline Files tab was back !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back