Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot purge dead mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerpatel

Technical User
Jun 14, 2005
Hi, can some please help.

I have a very simply domain, as follows:

2 x Dc's, Windows 2003 Server
1 x Exchange 2003

We had a hardware problem with our exchange server last month so we bought a new Server and installed Exchange 2003 into the site and moved all the Mailboxs and Public folders over to it.

We used the MS doc 822931 "How to remove the first Exchange 2003 computer from the admin group"

All has gone very well so far, we are up to the stage where we are meant to simply uninstall the Exchange software using the cd from the old box,

However we have one problem we can get around, there is a dead mailbox left on the old server, this stops us from uninstalling the old server.

The old server has the followin mailboxes :

smtp (servername)
system attendant
systemmailbox
"dead user"

the dead user has a red cross on it, we try purge however it does nothing with no errors anywhere.

We have also tried reconecting it to a new user account then using exmerge to remove all the data from it, then redeleting it and it does exactly the same.

Can anyone help me, we really need to get rid of the old exchange sever.

Roger

I've just tried the following and the mailbox is now gone.

dismounted Mailbox Store
moved the priv.edb and stm file out of the mdbfodler and then mounted the store, i got a warning stating it will create a new one, i said yes.

Now i dont have the dead mailbox anymore.

Have i made things worse ?

Back again, i tried the uninstall and still get the following message :

The component "MS Exchagne Messaging and Collaboration Services can not be assigned the acction "remove " because"
one or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server, Thses users must be moved to a maibox store on a different server or mail disabled.

Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back