Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot print multiple files from Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4ckl3

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2002
US
I have several Windows XP Professional workstations that have been upgraded to Service Pack 1a. Now when I try to select multiple files from within Windows Explorer (ie. Word1.doc, Word2.doc, Word3.doc), they will not print, open, edit, etc...

But if I open the associated application (ie. Microsoft Word) I can select multiple files and they will all open properly. Does anybody know why this happens or how to fix it? Is this "problem" by design?

Thanks in advance!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nobody knows everything about IT, so make a point to help your fellow members

-= j@ckle =-

Once I posted I realized that this question has been asked in a previous thread. When searching I did not phrase my criteria properly.

Has anyone contacted Microsoft regarding this issue?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nobody knows everything about IT, so make a point to help your fellow members

-= j@ckle =-

LOL at Bill - Shows us that he is human after all and has posted a link to THIS thread.

Never mind we all still worship you.[angel]

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

sorry, Greg.

There are two choices for multiple printing of Word documents:

. From Explorer, where there are issues with how many documents can print;

. From the Word "File, Open" dialogue box, where you can select multiple files and send them to the printer as well.

I believe the underlying problem (except in the case of Word 2000) is the Word runs out of memory at some point.
Where is dependent on the machine, its RAM, its freely available contiguuous space for the spooler file, and its free resources.

A shortage of any of these values will cause the multiple file print operation to terminate.

My own guess is that things can be helped by:

. Using the Open File dialogue approach from within Word;
. Turning off "Background" print processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back