Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot ping only one Adress in Subnet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milli

Technical User
Feb 2, 2001
DE
When i try to ping an adrss in my subnet i get an request timeot, but i can ping all other. The problem is that the not pingable should be my gateway !! can you help ??

If only one address is not available, I would suggest it is a fault with that one. Look to the hardware issue first. Does the device have a link light? Is it lit?

What is it? It might help pinpoint the problem. Is the IP address set correctly, and also check the mask.

What is the IP address of something that works and what is the IP address of the one that does not?

If you know the gateway is working, it is probably the firewall that is dropping the ping. I have set up a couple of firewalls in my day and most of the time I make sure that ICMP packets coming from the internal machines are always replied to, whereas ICMP packets coming from the outside are dropped, therby making the machine invisible to the outside. The firewall on the gateway box probably is not configured properly.

Troy Williams B.Eng.
fenris@hotmail.com

There is another error that can do this.. if the subnet mask on the client is incorrect and places it outside of the range that the gateway knows about. I've seen this with the wannabe hacker types in the office who messes about with their configs. The manual settings on a Wintel box will override the DHCP settings and while you *think* the IP config is correct 'cause the DHCP says so, it's still wrong because someone added it manually.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

If your gateway is a router, I have seen that it is not pingable because it is configure to drop( filter) any ping packet comming to it.

Hold on a second if passes the router already dont it as it can ping other addresses on other subnets so the router is forwarding packets as its the only way out to another subnet. Firstly get two PC's together on the same subnet. PC's on the same subnet can ping each other without the need for a gateway so if they cannot ping each other but both IP addresses are the working to the outside world id check to see if the subnet mask on the PC's is correct ie 180.1.0.0 255.255.0.0 the 255.255.0.0 has to be same on PC's with the same 180.1.0.0 address range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back