Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Ping Domain when secondary domain is down

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkwokgs

Technical User
Jul 2, 2001
SG
Hi There,

I have setup 2 AD server, DNS setup on both replicating each others, 1 domain.

AD1.testing.com 192.168.1.1
AD2.testing.com 192.168.1.2

when I ping testing.com ==> reply is from 192.168.1.2

If I down AD2.testing.com. ==> request timeout when I ping testing.com. I thought AD1.testing.com should reply when AD2.testing.com is down.

Why? Please advise.

Thanks
Daniel.K

The server that replies, is it holding all the roles?
Not sure if this helps, but if the 1st server does hold all the roles, then move them to the 2nd DC and try to ping the domain with both DC's up. See which one then replies?

Also are you pinging them from within the same subnet? It could be that there is no default gateway set on the 2nd DC or it may have a firewall turned on etc.

Thanks. They are all on the same subnet. I am new to Ad, what role are you referring to?

Two are newly setup AD with in the same domain.

Or maybe you can tell me how to set up 2 DCs with 2 DNS in the same domain and backup each other?

backing up each other. like the issue I have. shutdown 1 but the other should reply.

Please advise.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back