Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot overwrite a network file

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisj01

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
Hello,

I have encountered this problem with Windows NT and 2000. You can open a file from the network in Word, Excel, or a couple of non-MS programs, but when you click save to save it back, you get a message &quot;Access to <filename> was denied.&quot; You can do a save as and save the file to another name.

This does not appear to be an application problem since it involves MS and Non-MS programs, so I'm guessing something has gone wrong with the OS. I have verified the rights on the network files and folders are correct.

It has occured on several PCs. Any ideas why?

just guessing....but, it sounds like either the file is locked because it has been opened by more than one person.....or there are specific rights on the files themselves that are preventing modification by certain users..???

If you can logon to the same computer using a different domain account and the problem does not occur..then I would think the issue lies in the person's profile or account/group. If it occurs no matter who is logged in on a particular computer, then I would suspect OS or computer profile...don't know what in this area could cause this though.

Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Someone else reported this same issue in the Office forum and it turned to be as issue with Innoculan. Do you have this running on your servers by any chance? joegz
&quot;Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is.&quot;

I have experienced this issue with Word & Excel and increasing the page file resolved the issue: why, I guess it was a resource issue???? -----------------------------------------------------
&quot;It's true, its damn true!&quot;
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the tips! It looks like we may have this figured out. The server is an NT server and runs TCP/IP and IPX/SPX. The clients that are having problems also have TCP/IP and IPX/SPX. The TCP/IP only clients are not having problems. It appears the clients PCs with IPX/SPX are using that protocol to talk to the server. This makes me think the IPX/SPX on the server is not working correctly. I am going to remove and reload the IPX/SPX from the server later this week and see if that fixes it.

Thanks again for your ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back