Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open Templates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2002
GB
Hi All,
Office 97 Word
Problem:
1. Clicked on New.
2. Slected a template.
3. Clicked on the radio button to open as template
(works fine if you open as document)
4. Get Microsoft Error reprt, memory at reference #### not
readable, or some such.

Using WIndows XP as OS. ANy ideas? We have opened the box completely to this particular user, and still no joy. Any ideas?

Will

Forsooth, wilt thou post the wording for error?

My apologies... Here is what pops up when you hit Debug on the Send Micro$oft a Report window...
error.jpg

Thanks again,

Will

Hi, Will

The only reference I have come up with is MS article Q189258
which talks about creating a new template from another template. Unless you are trying to actually create a new template from the old one, there would be no point in selecting Template in the dialog box.

You can however, choose to go File, Open and under Files of Type choose Template navigate to your template, open, make changes to the Template and save it under a different name.

Please make sure you don't have the Norton Antivirus Office add-in installed. If you do, disable it and try the process again. MS article Q243579

Thanks... The workaround you suggest is what we are currently using. It's just that on Win98, we were able to do this process.
I will look at the sources you suggested. Again, thanks,

Will
:)

Try locating your 'normal.dot' file and rename it to something else, such as normal1.dot .. then reopen Word.

Word will create a new normal.dot if it can't find the original..... if the problem is corruption in the normal.dot, this will correct it.

Hope this helps....

Thanks ladyck, but we are using some custom templates. See the thing is, we created a good few years back, and some changes have come up, so for all that time, no one had a need to change the templates. Now we want to, and we have this error. We are using the method that was also suggested by xlhelp above, by opening the template using File -> Open, so at least we can get round it now. When I originally posted this thread, we hadn't realised we could do this, and these templates are the lifeblood of our company... hence panic! ;)

Thanks again,

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back