Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open folder (DESKTOP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

geeksRus

Technical User
Nov 3, 2000
US
I have a customer's machine that loads Win95 to the point of displaying the wallpaper. Then a dialog box opens and says that the folder cannot be opened, the path is too long.
the title bar of the dialog box is Desktop.
The only option then is to ctrl-alt-del to restart.
It does the same thing in Safe Mode.
I reinstalled Win95 but it didnt help.
Any ideas?

If I understand the question right, don't boot into safemode, press F8 while the Starting Windows 95 screen comes up, and then go to the command prompt (I'm not sure which number it is on that menu).

Type: CD windows
Type: EDIT win.ini
Find Wallpaper= and put the word NONE there instead of whatever file is trying to load. Wallpaper=None

If you have another computer with the edit.com or edit.exe file, copy it from floppy to this computer so you can edit the win.ini file, if going to the command prompt doesn't allow you to use that command.

Hope this allows it to boot without wallpaper loading at the beginning. The file must be too big for the amount of memory or hard drive space they have.

Good Luck! ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back