Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open file "C:\My Documents\My Webs\_vti_pvt\service.lck"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeleaumont

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
US
I just recently did a clean install of Win 98. I backed up all of "My Web" files to CD. When the install was done and everything loaded back, I tried to work on my site. I got this message:

Server error: Cannon open file "C:\My Documents\My Webs\_vti_pvt\service.lck" for writing.

Now I can't update ANY of my website's pages. Does anyone have any words of help out there? Also, is there a better way to save these files in the case of having to do a re-install and have this NOT happen again.

Any help is GRATELY appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
Don
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most..." - Steven Tyler

Have you tried recalulating the hyperlinks? Sometimes indexes get corrupted, and this can clear it out.

When you backed up your "My Web" folder to the CD it became 'Read Only'. When you trensferred the files back to your PC they are still 'Read Only' when you actually need to change them to 'Un-read Only' (you know what I mean, untick the read only box in the properties page)
Unfortunately you will have to select all the files in your "My Webs" folder and change them back to their original state, not read only.
Hope this helps. If you can help, GREAT
If I can help, EVEN BETTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back