Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Open Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

techspl

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
TT
Hi,
I have two Windows 2003 domain controllers and for the past month, i have been having problems accessing ADUC. I keep getting "Naming information cananot be found. The server is not operational" when I try to open ADUC on either DC. There are a lot of DNS error 4015, 4000, 404, 488 errors in the logs. These DCs are also DNS servers. If I reboot both DCs, it will work but the problem reappears every three days or so.

The DNS IP settings for the DCs are are correct. WHen the DCs are rebooted, DCDiag and netdiag runs without any errors excpet when checking the log files as it have replication errors.

Can anyone point me to a solution to this problem as I am really frustrated with this.

Sounds to me like you either have DNS misconfigured or you have a problem with kerberos between the servers.

First verify that DNS is configured right.

Set all static NIC TCP/IP properties to only list internal DNS servers.

In DHCP set the DNS setting to internal DNS servers.

In DNS, configure ISP DNS on the forwarders tab.

Then check out my FAQ faq96-4733. I wrote this FAQ for Windows 2000 but it all applies to 2003 as well.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back