Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot move files with attachments to .pst! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodomen

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
US
Help! I'm having a problem with MANY users at work. They're continually over allowable mailbox size, so we create .pst folders for them. They would be a good solution, except some of the users cannot move files with attachments. We thought it was a size restriction, but even if they just move one at a time, it won't allow it. It continues to give the error message "Cannot move file. The file was already moved or saved or whatever, blah blah blah." It's saying they already moved it, but they didn't do anything to the files. It's happening with about 3 people. I don't understand why it is happening, and the head of one of the departments is furious. I don't know what to do!

Can anyone help? Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

+Melanie-

Actually, I figured it out, sort of. It seems that the users are only moving things when their mailboxes get full. In order to move to a .pst, a copy is actually made within the inbox, so there's not enough room in the inbox to actually move anything big. Still not sure what to do to make them archive sooner, except I'm working on firguring a way to make the notification message show up at 50% full. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

If you are using an Exchange server, you maybe able to restrict them from sending mail out while still allow for delivery of incoming emails to their inbox. This will prompt them to manage their inbox before it gets too big.

Firm.

One possibility, and you may want to discuss this w/ management first, is to require employees to save attachments to their hard disk (or network share) to separate them from Outlook, then delete the attachment. Attachments will eat up a lot of space (especially .JPGs)The best part is, Outlook will ask what you want to do w/ the attachment when it is clicked on - save or open? Craft a policy that reduces the ability of the user to make mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back