Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Manage a computer in Active Directory Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyberWolf

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2003
US
I have had an Active Directory domain for about 6 months now, and as of this morning when I go under "Active Directory users and Computers", and Right click on a computer and click manage, it gives me:

Computer \\computername.domain.com cannot be managed. The network path was not found.

The server is Windows 2003 .NET server, and the Workstations are Windows 2000

It was working fine last week and this morning i got that message on all of the computers in the domain. (15 total)

Any help Is very Appreciated...

Thanks...

This may be a dumb question, but are all of the workstations powered on? I have run into that same error message in the past, but is was when a workstation was powered down.

If they all are on, which I assume they are, that I agree with BWilson77080, it sounds like a DNS issue.

Jim

Jim Webber
Network Administrator MCSE CNA

I didnt know they had to be on...j/k

Yes, All machines are powered on. I have been looking around at all the DNS settings, but havent found anything that looks like wrong. I am still going crazy trying to figure it out, Thought about a reload of everything several times....

I got everything working once... Didn't I..., the idea is still floating around in my head. Any other suggestions before I go that far?

Thanks

i'm not saying anything bad but, have you even checked your network to make sure everything is plugged. go and check your hub

-sn

Everything is plugged in on the Physical layer, This is just one of my servers that i run, I am Slowly migrating from no domain, to an Active Directory domain, from nothing but several workgroups that the previous person in my position set up. All of the computers are plugged in to and working on gigabit CISCO Switches. Why would anyone trust there business or their job to a hub??? This is just the first Active Directory that i am setting up.

any other less obvious Ideas???

Thanks

You can try to check the NIC to see if it is still working or compatible. I install .Net 2k3 Server once, and notice that I couldn't connect to any of my workstations. The NIC connect to the HUB was find and the Server says it was working fine but the computers couldn't communicate to the server. I thought it was a DNS configuration problem, but everything was configured correctly. I found out it was the NIC that didn't work w/ .NET 2k3 server. Even though it says that it's working properly and no error msg from the NIC, the NIC might not be working w/ the server. I replaced the NIC and everything worked fine. Hopes this helps.

~Paul[noevil]

Check DHCP and make sure it only registers DNS names for those computers that don't support it. Check DNS and make sure the clients are registered there. Ping the client by it's DNS name and see if you get a resolution and packets back. Ping the client by its ip address. These will help narrow down the source of the problem.

Well, Thanks for the Replies, But I have Reloaded the whole thing and everything seems to be working fine...

I would have like to of known what is was, but it was getting me in trouble that I couldn't manage the machines, so I had to do something quick.

Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back