Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Logon Locally on NT Server 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data67

MIS
Dec 10, 2001
US
Hi!

When logging on to the network, I used to be able to choose whether if I wanted to logon locally or to the domain. But now, the server only lets me logon to the domain and that's it. It does not show me the local machine name on the network logon page it only shows the domain name.

I must logon locally to make some changes on the server.

I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Make sure the system is still a member of the domain and NOT a workgroup. Verify under network neghbourbour and If it is a workgroup put in back into the domain as a member server

If the box is a domain controller you will not be able to log on locally. What changes do you need to do that require that you be logged on locally vice the domain. Jim

Elegant solutions are nice, but right now I'll settle for whatever works.

if it is a domain controller than u cann't log in as locally. and if it is a member server than i dont think so that this problem will accur.

chattha

DC: NT 4.0 SP6
Servers: NT 4.0 SP6a, Windows NT Terminal Server SP4

The machines are not domain controllers. They are member servers. This did not only happen to one server but it occurred on ALL member servers. I can only log on to the domain and not onto the local machine. I checked under the server manager on the domain controller and all looks normal there (the servers are listed as members).

I have tried again and again to go through the Knowledge Base and have not found any solution there.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Are you logging into the system as the Administrator or as a user with Administrator rights ??? Also check out on user rights to make certain that you have the right to log on locally.

Dan

I have been trying to logon as administrator. It just does not give me the option to choose the local machine under "Domain". I can only logon to the domain.

Aaarghhhh!!!!

Ok.... What would happen if your when to network properties and changed it to log into a workgroup and NOT the domain...?

For all your members server, it is impossible to logon locally...
You don't have any grouppolicy set, that doesn't aloud locally logons ?
You have local profiles defined, i guess ?
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

Under Network Neighborhood properties, it does not give me the option to choose a workgroup. when I click on "Change", It gives me an "Identification Changes" window with an option to specifiy the "Computer Name" and "Domain Name" and that's it......

I tried to remove this computer from the Domain so that it will let me logon locally but that also did not work.

Please advise.

Thanks.

I am having a similar problem. My company has just bought out a rival company that went bust. I have been given the task of getting their server onto our network. I had the same problem (no option for local logon) and finding this thread has been very helpful.
However, I have a few questions, and would greatly appreciate any help. The server I have to put onto our network was a primary domain controller. Will there be any possible conflicts with our PDC, if I try and connect it to out LAN ? Should I demote it to a backup domain controller before attempting this ? Does the local logon option return if it is a BDC ?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back