Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Login (Domain selection missing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sy69

Technical User
Nov 16, 2002
US
I just tried to get my notebook connected to my home network.
1. I login into a domain (when undocked) e.g. username, password & domain ....
2. After running the network wizard and rebooting the PC does no longer display the network domain option when login screen appears (Ctrl Alt Del)
3. It prompts for username/password [under options is only dialin, no network/domain).
4. UserID and correct password don't authenticate without the domain option.

Seemed to be locked out of the notebook.
I don't have administrator password, anyway ideas ????

You've removed the notebook from the domain - so its now in a workgroup (probably called WORKGROUP), and you need a local not a domain user id to log onto it. Suggest you take it back to work where support people should be able to log on and rejoin you to network. MAKE SURE you have a local logon before you try this again (its a very comman problem - notebooks in domains should have a printed warning on them, IMHO)

Is there anyway from booting up in safemode? Or when I redock it back at work will it pickup the network domain profile?

No - safemode uses same password verification as normal mode. Somebody at work will have to log on locally and rejoin machine to the domain. You will then be able to log on with network user id & retrieve network profile.

As I said - if you want to connect to you home network, make sure you have a local (preferably administrator) logon details to get on machine when its out of the domain.

PS. You should also check this with support people at work as it will always need rejoining to the domain, and you need to have the right level of domain privilege to do that.
PPS. You might be able to access your home network without removing it from domain - depends what you want to do, what other machines are etc.

Thanks ... Trying to share folders etc on my notebook through WI-FI 802.11b to my home PC through wireless hub.

sys69, You should be able to do that without a problem. I am running exactly that currently. I have my 'work domain' as my login, which obviously fails to find a domain controller, but logs me in instead with the cached profile. I can then connect to my wireless home network via IP quite easily and share folders and internet connection etc. As wolluf has said though, unless you have a local account, if you have removed your pc from the domain then you will need to get your support guys at work to reconnect you to the domain. Explain to them what you are doing and you might even find they will help ya.....these support guys aren't all bad. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back