Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Log onto new account... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2003
GB
Hi there,

I have a small query, I have tried to set up an account as a backup operator, just to learn about user rights with a view to setting up a more sensible structure for our network.

However, I cannot log on as this user, I have reset the password 3 times, and rebooted our network, and yet I keep getting the message:

Cannot log you on, please check user name and domain are correct then type your password again.

I have thoroughly checked spelling, and made sure the password is all in lower case (caps lock checked off), yet no joy. I have also checked that I can log on locally with this account.

Is there something going on with the backup operators account in order to make it work?

If I am not mistaken the Backup Operator does not have log on locally permissions and that may be your problem.

Actually, it sounds as if you are trying to log on to the computer with the backup operator account from another computer. While the backup operator group can log on locally, by default, they cannot log on across the network. To change this, open user manager and select User Rights from the Policy menu. Add the Backup Operators to the list of those allowed to access the computer from the network.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back