Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot log onto my network

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
I thought I put this here before, but I can't find it. Please excuse any redundancy.

I have a w98 laptop connected with a Workgroup to a w2k desktop. I am the only user/administrator for both. I can easily access my laptop from my desktop, but although I can connect to the desktop from the laptop, I am locked out. The password I have set is not recognized. I cannot get any information on the "administrator" or properties from the laptop because I don't "have authorization". My logon name on the laptop is not that of the desktop. I have reset passwords on the desktop and laptop several times to match, but nothing happens. Since the laptop is a driveless IBM workstation, I absolutely need to be able to access the desktop CD drive to install new software.

Please help.

For additional information, I did just find these two points in the help files:

1)IPC$

A resource sharing the named pipes that are essential for communication between programs. It is used during remote administration of a computer and when viewing a computer's shared resources.

2)drive letter$

A shared folder that allows administrative personnel to connect to the root directory of a drive. Shown as A$, B$, C$, D$, and so on. For example, D$ is a shared folder name by which drive D might be accessed by an administrator over the network.

For a Windows 2000 Professional computer, only members of the Administrators or Backup Operators group can connect to these shared folders. For a Windows 2000 Server computer, members of the Server Operators group can also connect to these shared folders.

So, w98 seems to be assuming that only an administrator (which I would also be) connect to w2k. That should be a clue, but I remain clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back