Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot log into Windows XP. Comes up user1 but does not recognise any passwords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexgirl

Vendor
Aug 2, 2003
GB
BadBigBen's advice on changing Legacy/IDE was brilliant thank you.
Now I can at least get into Windows XP. But still have a problem as it comes up as user1 and asks for the password. This has never come up before and although I have put in all my old passwords nothing works and I cannot get beyond this screen so have to shut down. Is there any way I can get to put in something that will get m e past this password stage and into XP please?
Also, when I switch on, before I can go into computer I have to use a password, which I didnt before. Thankfully one of my passwords lets me get in so I can then go in and Windows XP opens. How do I get rid of this password too please.

Have you tried logging in with no password ? Also you haven't mentioned if you've tried logging in with the administrator account.

If you can't do either of these, download a utility from the internet and reset the administrator password. I've used the utilities/programs found on the following site with success in the past:

>> Also, when I switch on, before I can go into computer I have to use a password...

Enter the BIOS setup screen, see if you have any passwords activated there, you probably won't see them, pay attention to the right side there are usually instructions on what to do (e.g. clearing any passwords)...

it is also possible that you have the drive encrypted, and then only the software manual might tell you how to reset or turn off the pre-windows password...

also before you check the above, make sure that you have no USB drives/sticks attached, nor a CD/DVD in the DVD drive, when you boot up... because the "USER1" prompt usually comes from a Linux LiveCD... ;)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

The other question that needs to be asked: What has happened here??? BIOS passwords when there were none, SATA mode settings changes. Either someone's been tampering or a strange BIOS reset due to a weak battery???!!!

If you don't see an Admin login, hit CNTRL ALT DEL twice and see if that brings it up. If it does, try entering that with no password.

Then you should be able to reset User1 password or at least copy the data out.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I have tried all of the above and still cannot get past user 1 password stage. Any other advice please would be most welcome as I am lost without my laptop.

We need to analyze this situation. Are you getting prompted for two passwords during each boot up??

One would be a BIOS password - no "starting windows" seen - this would be before any of that happens. Correct?
To fix this, you will need to enter the BIOS and remove the password. Follow BBB's instructions above.

The other password, if an actual windows user password prompt, needs to be removed once you get into windows by going into Control Panel > USER ACCOUNTS > Change an account (choose account that you are logged in as) > remove my password.

If this is not what you see, take some screen shots or camera photos and post somewhere.

How do I get into the Control Panel if I cannot get past the actual windows user1 log in as I don't know the password please. Julie

Because you said:
Thankfully one of my passwords lets me get in so I can then go in and Windows XP opens. How do I get rid of this password too please.

So, it must be a BIOS password. You're confusing me with "getting into Windows XP" meaning that you are stopped at a password prompt once XP has booted Why don't you post a picture of where you're stuck.

You could try this Site. Follow the instructions to create a new password for the user1 account.

Yes - It IS just a windows user password. Above link would be the procedure to fix. If all else fails and you search on the interwebz, there are links on how to reset passwords, but they don't like you to do a "how to" on here.

Q: What user name did you use to access the Laptop before? have you tried that Username instead of the "USER1"?
what happens if you just hit enter?

if the instructions from RClarke250 link do not work, then Goom mentioned there are instructions on how to to be found on the net... a good starting point here would be the LiveLinuxCD from Parted Magic and be sure to read the documentation...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

[F8] during bootup will take you to a menu and safe mode choice where you can get to the default administrator account, which is blank.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Missed the link.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back