Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot log into SQL 2000 from Client using Named Instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobpv

Instructor
Sep 3, 2002
US
This is causing me grief, and I have not been able to get a resolution from any of the consultants I engaged. It is a situation that will require explanation:

The application we are running requires SQL 2000, but there is a second app running on the server which needs sql 2008. So SQl 2000 was installed on the same server as a named instance. When installing the named instance, we used Mixed Authentication.

The App was also installed on the drive, and the client was installed on the server as well (Partitioned as C for app and D for SQL server) and that runs as expected. Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer also run as expected, and the SA password will connect.

Installed the client and when trying to run it from a workstation, received an error that it could not find or connect to the SQL server. The consultant installed the client tools on the workstation and used the Client Network Utility to remove Named Pipes and use TCP\IP for connecting. Same issue, cannot find or connect to SQL Server named instance. When we try to connect to the server with Enterprise Manger and register the named instance, it tell us the password is not correct. But the same password for SA works on the server, so it is right.
The port is set for 1433, and the client is configured to dynamically select port.
A 3rd party said that 2 SQL servers cannot connect to the same port, is that correct? Even using TCP\IP?
If we reconfigure the named instance to use port 1434, and set the client to that port, would that be correct? (leaving port 1433 for the 2008 SQL server)

I am hopeful someone out there with much more knowledge than I can offer advice, and will be very grateful for any suggestions.
The confusing part is how the app can connect and run fine on the server (which contains both SQL servers) but fail when using the same password on the workstations.

You need to set the SQL 2000 named instance to use a dynamic port and restart the instance. Two SQL instances can not both use the same TCP port.

You also need to enable and start the SQL Browser service.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

Thank you very much for the reply, let me ask this,

The Client Network setup did use the dynamic port option, does this also need to be done at the server- i assume the network setup utility is used?
Second, anything on enable and start SQL Browser? I am not familiar with this.

You need to use the SQL Server Configuration Utility to change the port number on the server.

The SQL Browser is a Windows service.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back