Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot located requested xbase memo file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2002
US
I am trying to write an access application to pull data from our Foxpro database system. Whenever I link to a .DBF file, and create a form, it tells me that it "Cannot locate requested xbase memo file". Can someone tell me how to fix this problem? I am using Access 2000.

This is something that I do frequently, and I have never experienced the problem you describe.

The most obvious question is: Are you sure that the memo file links are working in Foxpro?

Others: Are the memo files in the same directory as the DBF files? Have you perhaps replaced the DBF file originally linked with a later one and not also replaced the memo file?

Finally, what method of linking have you used?

Maybe we can stumble on something if we pursue enough possibilities?

John

There should be a file with the same name as the .DBF file except ending in .FPT. This needs to be in the same directory as the .DBF file.

My guess is that the original .DBF files were copied from some other directory in order to do migration and whoever copied did not include .FPT files.

Mike Pastore

Hats off to (Roy) Harper

Thanks Guys!

Bringing up the point about how I was linking to the files made me go back and take a look at it. Instead of linking to free tables I linked to the .dbc (database container?) and things seem to be working well now. I'm sort of the default computer guy here and don't speak the language well...in real life I'm a biochemist. Anyway, I appreciate the help.

Apschminkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back