Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Join NT4 Domain from a WIN2K workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

graphxdzin

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
US
I have just installed WIN2K and WINNT4 as a dual boot config. I have been able to join the WINNT config to join the domain but cannot get the WIN2K to join. I keep getting the following: &quot;..error attemping to join the domain ...The specified domain either does not exist or cannot be contacted&quot;<br>I have checked lmhost (looks fine) and I am using the same account that joined the WINNT to the domain.<br>I have joined the workgroup and have been able to access files on the PDC so I am a little lost as to why I can't find the domain.<br>Any help would be great!!!<br>

Make sure you are using different computer names in NT and W2K. Then make sure both names are added to the domain.<br><br>It will not connect to the same domain with the same computer name for NT or W2K because the SID's do not match.<br> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Use the User Manager Tool on the Win2k box to add your puter to the domain and then go to the other puter and join. Simple but effective.<br><br>llamlaord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back