Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot join Domain Through VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginaldMeyer

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2003
US
Hello,

I have setup a VPN between two offices. The tunneling is working well. I can ping the DNS server from a client machine in the remote office and can even map a drive via command line. I have the client machines pointing to the the DNS's ip address.

When I open up the system properties and try to get the machine to join the domain I get an error:

"The domain controller for the domain cvm.local could not be contacted"

I have WINS active on the Domain server. I have setup a host file and an lmhost file and niether seemed to make a difference at all. I am looking at using WINS lookup but I am thinking I should not need any of this. I am using all XP Pro or W2K machines in the remote office.

My thought is that I have something not configured as far as the DNS is concerned but for the life of me cannot figure out what it might be.

If anyone out there has a suggestion that will allow me to browse the network of my subnets I would be very grateful for the help.

AD is in effect.

Thanks

I have seen a similar issue as it relates to VPN. That is if you attempt to change your password over a VPN connection, you sometimes receive the same message. This is a WINS timeout issue. There is a registry setting for this, though I do not know exactly what it is.

I have found that pinging the DC via the FQDN and then attempting to change the password has resolved the issue. Not in all cases though. It seems caching the info like that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back