Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Join Domain from sites 2 or 3, even with DC on site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopnDude

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2007
US
Site 1
10.10.10.X > everythings fine
10.10.10.X > backup server for site one, everythings fine

Site 2
10.20.20.X > no DC on location yet

Site 3
10.30.30.X > currently at location with DC setup

I get an error when trying to run nslookup and this is what I get;
can't find server name for address 10.30.30.X non-existant domain
can't find server name for address 10.10.10.X non-existant domain
default server blah.blah.more.net
address X.X.X.X (for ^)

I get the following error for sites 2 and 3.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
The domain name JEFFCOLIB might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain JEFFCOLIB:

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.(mydomain)

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:

adsvr00.(mydomain)
adsvr01.(mydomain)
adsvr03.(mydomain)

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Now a few quick side notes. I haven't been able to mess with the switches/routers yet to see what ports have been enabled or disabled, forwards, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In Site 3, what is DHCP providing for DNS servers? It should be providing the IP for the Site 3 DC and then the IP for the Site 1 DC. When you go to the cmd-line on the Site 3 DC and run "repadmin /showreps" what do you get? I would want to verify that you have good replication between Site 1 and Site 3. If you don't, then the DC at Site 3 won't have the DNS zone for the domain loaded, and that would explain what you are seeing.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Sorry.

I'm way past this issue. I fixed it. I created a Domain Tree Root (X.10.10.10)/Domain Tree (X.10.10.11)/Location 2 Domain Tree (X.20.20.12)/Location 3 Domain Tree (X.30.30.13).

The firewall didn't have entries to allow a Domain to be on a another IP range.

I made 1 main and 3 tree servers for each location. Fixed the firewall, and set the DNS's accordingly.

Problem solved!

Now I have to see why my Mandatory profile isn't working right. I set all .DAT to .MAN on the NTuser profiles for all the local machines for the public access machines. For some reason, they aren't taking.

I went into AD, and to the 3 user profiles (used for a group of PC's per location). I copied a newly created/changed NTuser.MAN profile to a folder on the server, and had all 3 profiles look to that folder for it's mandatory profile.
\\SERVER\Public Profile\NTuser.MAN

Should fix that issue. But I'm actually almost done with the domain migration to the new servers I setup.

Sorry for the long time between post, I've been dorking with the Debian Firewall settings. And this 3rd party software we have. I'm kind of a one man show right now working on about 140 computers. My boss knows maybe a hand full of what I do, and I don't have a part timer. I'm also still working on my AS degree doing the job of a seasoned BS degree Net Admin. So I'm holding my own! Aside from what I'm learning in school at Vatterott, I'm doing studies for other stuff that I have going on at work outside of school.

Thanks for the reply though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back