Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot install Notes R12 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
I am at my wits end.
I am currently trying to install R12 on my old Windows 7 PC. It fails every time with the error "a file has been locked by another process". I have tried to install from the hard drive, from a USB key and from a RW DVD, same error.
I have even installed LockHunter to find out what was going on, but there is no other process apart from Startup.exe and Msiexec (which is locking the install log in my AppData/Temp folder - don't see why that should be a problem).
As far as I can tell, BitLocker is not running. In any case, I've tried to disable it, but my Windows 7 doesn't have a Control Panel/System and Security tab, it just has a System tab, so I can't find the Bitlocker section of it.
Can anybody point me the right way ? I'd hate to have to install Windows 1 0 just for this (not even sure that it would want the hardware anyway).
Oh, and I've tried R10 and even R8, same error every time.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

I searched for "Notes R 1 2" and found nothing on the googles. What is this? Is it the Microsoft Word Add-in?

I checked those system requirements. I see that, for R12, Windows 1 0 is needed, but I don't think that that is the problem because, if it was, then I could have installed R8, which got blocked by the same issue.
This is a Windows issue on a legitimate, licensed version of 7.
I guess I'm going to have to contact Borkzilla support to get to the bottom of this.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

My apologies for not explaining myself.

My post was really intended for spamjim to (possibly) help him to identify the software involved.

I didn't mean to imply that the URL might give the cause of the problem.

The real problem is that you(pmonett) type Windows 10 like everyone else!!

There's no need to apologize to anyone.

pjw001 said:
My post was really intended for spamjim to (possibly) help him to identify the software involved.

I appreciate that but I was poking pmonett to "use their words". Context is everything. Use the right words. Use the right support channels.

Their issue is immediately solved by querying the googles or the chatgpts.

No, actually it isn't solved. But let's go through those links :

1) "The ID file is locked by another process. Try again later."
Not the error message I reported. Besides, the ID file is not yet on the disk because R12 is not yet installed.

2) "Notes/Domino 6 and 7 Forum : Web server log files locked?"
That concerns the server version. That's not what I am trying to install.

3) "Error : The database is in use by another user or program"
Again, R12 would have to be installed for me to get this message.

4) "DAOS - The ID file is locked ??"
And again, R12 would have to be installed for me to get this message.

5) "Action to perform when WORKSPACE folder size increases ..."
The workspace is only available when R12 is installed.

I could continue, but let me just resume by saying that you have basically proven, via HCL documentation itself, that the issue is not Notes.
The only thing left is Windows.

R12 will never be installed on Windows Sev en because its minimum requirement is Windows 10. I think we already resolved this.

You're struggling with an installer from HCL so it would make sense to get support from HCL, whether that is in their documentation or from another official HCL support channel.

pmonett said:
Can anybody point me the right way ?

HCL

What about R8 ?

You're struggling with an installer from HCL so it would make sense to get support from HCL.

Well it would seem that Borkzilla agrees with you. I contacted support this morning, but they don't care any more.
The fact that my license is genuine doesn't matter.
Unfortunately, I don't think that HCL is going to be of any help either. I've installed Notes for the past 25 years. I've installed R12 already. I've never had this problem before.
The problem is on this laptop, with this install of Windows. I'm going to have to find a backup disk with Notes already installed, if I still have it.
Otherwise, I'll to wipe everything and install Windows latest, hoping that that will solve the problem.
I'm pissed because this little thing wasn't supposed to cost so much time and certainly wasn't supposed to cost money. And I would like to repeat that R8 doesn't install either - and that version is not limited to Windows latest.
Oh well, it's IT. I should be used to unpleasant surprises.

Hello,

maybe its blocked by an AV-program or a backuptool,...
You may have a look on sysinternals process explorer (use find) which can shows in detail which process uses which file.
Maybe you can try to install it as administrator and/or in another directory, too.

Regards
tom

Rather than Process Explorer, I would suggest Sysinternals/Technet's Process Monitor instead... with a filter pointing to the installer executable to monitor for FAILURE events.

It might not help if the app isn't supported in Windows 10 but it might identify any sticking point(s).

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back