Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot import DHCP database to new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasisnt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2006
US
Im trying to import a DHCP database to our new DHCP server and a backup server. So server1 is the old server, server2 is the new DHCP server and server3 is going to be a backup server that will have the database but wont be running unless needed.

They are all Windows 2003 domain controllers. Ive backed it up and restored it to the new DHCP server fine (server2). When I try and restore it to the backup server (server3) it says "The database was not restored correctly. No changes were made." In the Event Viewer I get Event ID errors 1019, 1060, 1061 & 1062 with DhcpServer as the source.

I checked the Event IDs online and everything looks fine. The only thing that I don't know for sure is under the DHCP properties, Advanced tab and then Credentials button it asks or a name and password. I put the domain admin credentials there.

MCSE NT 4.0, MCSA (Server 2003), A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

I wouldn't put domain admin credentials there. But that setting is irrelevant as to whether you can import/export.

What's the status of authorized vs unauthorized for the "backup"? Also, it would make more sense to have both running in the recommended 80/20 rule, as that would allow for seamless failover to the "backup" should a failure occur on the primary. Otherwise, all of the dynamic addresses won't be configured on the backup, and will can get flagged as "bad_address" if you start running off the backup.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

They are both authorized. Its not going to be running it with the other one but I just want to have the scope and options already configured on it so I can just start the DHCP service is the other one goes down.

MCSE NT 4.0, MCSA (Server 2003), A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back