Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Get Time to Stay Correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Variscite

MIS
Nov 3, 2003
US
I cannot get the correct time on Windows SBS 2003. I change it in Windows from 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm and it changes back to 1:30. I try to trick it and change to 3:30 pm so when it rolls back an hour I get the 2:30 pm time which I want. It still goes back to 1:30 pm. I've changed it in the BIOS and still get the wrong time.

It's a new Dell server. Can it be the battery? Something else? In Date and Time Properties the settings are correct. I'm in the right time zone. Adjust for daylight savings time is unchecked.

try this in DOS and find out where you are getting time from ??

net time /querysntp before you have set it.

net time /querysntp after you have set it also do a restart to see if it changes.

[cannon] [worm]
"Practice makes Perfect"
("la pratique rend parfait")
CPO rt'd RN

Adjust for daylight savings time is unchecked. "

That is your problem right there.

All computers use GMT - Greenwich Mean Time as the default time, and then the computer will adjust your time based on that.

Is there a specific reason you have the adjust for daylight savings time unchecked? I know this causes a problem with confusion with client machines who don't use that checkbox and try to use MS Outlook for scheduling.

You can also try turning off the service named "Windows Time" and it will stop syncing up the time of multiple machines on the same network.

Schtek, I tried it and I got "time.windows.com". Thanks.

TechnoBabbly, I checked it and the time is correct now. I had the problem long before daylight savings time, so I didn't bother to check it. I thought computers did not sync with a timeserver unless specified. Some PCs have a tab for that when changing the time by right-clicking on the time in the system tray. I don't have that tab. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back